Due to the COVID-19 public health crisis, the Howie Hawkins campaign has suspended all physical petitioning for ballot access. While the situation is still unfolding, we will be working with the state and national Green parties to seek relief from state election officials from the petitioning requirements to qualify the party for the ballot. Given that public health officials are recommending social distancing to stop the spread of the COVID-19 virus, we believe it is in the interest of democracy for the states to put the Green Party on the ballot without a physical petition. We are now putting together a team of lawyers to help us make the case to the states that the Green Party should be on all the state ballots in the 2020 election.
If we can’t petition, how do we get on the ballot?
Due to the COVID-19 outbreak and restrictions on social interaction, collecting ballot access petition signatures will be almost impossible. State Green Parties and the Howie Hawkins for President campaign will now be forced to pursue other options to get on this November’s general election ballot. Here is what we will be doing in the coming months to get on the ballot:
- We will continue to collect ballot access petition signatures WHILE PRACTICING SOCIAL DISTANCING. We will NOT encourage gatherers to go out and seek to collect in public settings.
- Work with state Green Parties to draft letters to the Governor and State Elections Offices requesting relief from petitioning thresholds. We will request for the Green Party to simply be placed on the ballot, have signature requirements significantly reduced, or have petitioning requirements replaced with a filing fee due to our inability to collect petition signatures.
- Mobilize our party members and campaign supporters to lobby their Governor and State Elections Offices for emergency relief from ballot access petitioning requirements.
- Work closely with our team of lawyers and legal advisors to pursue legal action where relief from petitioning requirements is not granted by the state.
If your state party or campaign needs legal help in regards to ballot access challenges, email [email protected] to get put in contact with our legal team.
News Related to Ballot Access and the COVID-19 Health Crisis
Many states are now seeking relief from petitioning requirements due to the ongoing COVID-19 public health crisis. This section of the site will display news regarding ballot access struggles nationwide.
US District Court Places Illinois Green and Libertarian Party Candidates on Ballot for 2020 General Election
Connecticut Green Party Calls on State to Waive Signature Requirements due to COVID-19 Crisis
New Jersey Governor Grants GPNJ Request for Digital Signature Gathering
Illinois Green Party Files Suit in US District Court for Ballot Access Petitioning Relief
Vermont Secretary of State Removes Signature Requirements due to COVID-19 Crisis
Green Party of Pennsylvania Requests Waiver of Signature Requirement due to COVID-19 Restrictions
Virginia Green Party Requests Ballot Access be Waived in Response to the COVID-19 Pandemic
Minnesota Green Party Asks Government Officials to Suspend the Upcoming Ballot Access Drive
Illinois Green Party Sends Letter to Gov. Pritzker, Legislative Leaders Requesting Ballot Access Relief
Maryland Green Party Joins with Libertarians to Ask Maryland Officials to Maintain Their Ballot Access
We intend to take all necessary steps and actions to assure our place on this November’s general election ballot. While we face unprecedented obstacles this election cycle, we will continue to strive to be on the ballot in all 50 states, DC, and the US territories. Here’s what you can do to help.
What You CAN DO to Help Get Us on the Ballot During the Public Health Crisis?
- Continue to collect signatures on your ballot access petition packet WHILE PRACTICING SOCIAL DISTANCING. We do not encourage gatherers to go out into public and collect. Even if you are only able to collect signatures from those in your home, that will help.
States where you can download and sign your petition are linked to the right.
Call or send a letter to your Governor’s office and State Elections Office asking them to reduce or alleviate petition requirements for getting on the ballot in your state.
Pledge to sign a legal affidavit stating you would have collected signatures if not for the COVID-19 outbreak. By showing we have volunteers lined up and ready to collect, we will be able to make a stronger case in court.
You can pledge to sign an affidavit with the links to the right.
Do You Live in One of These States? Download and Sign the Petition Today!
Would You Have Petitioned if not for the Corona Virus Public Health Crisis? Pledge to Sign an Affidavit to Help Our Court Cases in the Following States.